Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The evolution of cover up


Last friday Marty and I headed to Tacoma to celebrate my birthday... sort of. I should say to celebrate my birthday gift since my birthday was actually monday. I've been wanting a new tattoo for some time now, and that's exactly what my sweet Husband did for me!

Shortly after I turned 18 I got my first tattoo. Then a couple years later I got another, and then another. That third one is on my back and it's undergoing cover up. I never thought I'd be one for cover up. I thought "yeah, I know what I'm doing. I'll love this forever!" That's being young for you. Thinking you know it all. Obviously, things change, and now I'm less than happy with it.

I've chosen a piece for my arm by Alphonse Mucha entitled "Dance". I am very inspired by art nouveau and the delicate nature it embraces. I love how feminine and soft his paintings are. Here is the piece that I chose for my arm.

You can see the tattoo on my back as well as the new piece that will start the cover up process. Marty had this brilliant idea about adding an umbrella turned inside out by the swirling wind. I think it turned out amazing! The tattoo artist is still working on the flowers that will cover up the existing tattoo. They will be flowing out of the umbrella.

My first session lasted three hours and all the outlining is complete. I go back in November for color on my arm. This will be my first tattoo with color and I must say I am very excited to add this element.

It will be a lengthy process totaling over 10 hours I am sure. But I am up for it and can hardly wait to go back. More progress to come....

No comments: